Timeframe: 2-15 days (daily and/or hourly readings)
Crosscurricular Topics: Human Impacts, Engineering Design
Assessments: Experiment design proposal, Collected meter readings
Aligned Standards: CCS ELA-Literacy.W (6-8.1B, 6-8.7) Math (7.EE.3); NGSS S (ESS33,
ETS 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4) (HS-ESS3-4); IST (3a, 4a, 4c) AM (MTH.F.21, REL.ML.3, ELA.W.15,81, SS.CGC.1, SS.GM.2)
Essential Question 2: How can researching and comparing my situation to the experiences of others help me make better
decisions and prioritize the actions I should take?
Essential Question 3: What, if any, responsibility do we have as individuals to take actions, even small ones, to use natural
resources wisely in a way that cares for the earth? How can and does math, science, engineering, and technology help us
fulfill that responsibility?
Experiment design proposal / process
Students complete individually or in groups (eg. by meter type, or efficiency action)
● Identify potential research question based off of course readings and discussions (define the problem)
● Background research (what research has already been done? What technology/solutions already exist? What data have you
already collected that suggests a relationship between the variables you are investigating?)
● Hypothesis / prediction (What relationship do you expect to find between your experimental variables and consumption?)
● Plan readings to collect baseline, control, and experimental data (with stimulus present)
● Engineer and test prototype, possible solution
● Analyze and interpret data to construct evaluations
● Suggest / take next steps (design improvements, additional research, actions)
Note: STEMhero partners with programs that provide students with specific efficiency devices and/or actions to implement and measure. Many STEMhero schools in Wisconsin for example, will be following a two week energy efficiency challenge designed by UW - Stevens Point Center for Environmental Education (the I-SEE Program). If you are interested to add an efficiency "kit" to your STEMhero program please contact us.